Japan's dating scene has gotten so bad that even the government is getting involved, in hopes of getting more couples to get it on. They're pushing girls to put themselves out there more and teaching guys how to be likable on a date. For some guys, the problem isn't being shy or awkward, it's being an otaku. Apparently, many girls really dislike that.
Kotaku posted a translation of a list that tells how girls can identify otaku, even without seeing their room full of figures, and why they think being one is creepy. Some thing are obvious, like wearing an anime t-shirt, talking like an anime character, or calling a fictional character their wife. (I'd imagine talking affectionately about any other girl on a date would be bad form, much less your waifu.)
But I think Japanese girls need to get over a few of these. What's so weird about grinning while reading a manga? And while some "creepy cute onomatopoeic words" can be weird, what upsets you about jokingly going "nom nom nom?" That's not anime-ish, that's Cookie Monster-ish if anything! It's not like he's ending sentences with "uguu!"
See the full list is below, along with all the reasons why Japanese girls think these things are creepy.
1. Wearing anime t-shirts or carrying anime goods
2. Perfectly mastering dance moves otaku do at idol concerts
3. Talking endless about how cute anime characters are
4. Referring to game characters as one's wife
5. Grinning ear-to-ear while reading a manga
6. Talking like an anime character
7. Using creepy cute onomatopoeic words
8. Giving oneself an anime character name for a nickname
9. Only singing anime songs at karaoke
From other sites around the web